Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Week 10 - Forum App - devise, haml, simple_form, bootstrap-sass, heroku, normalize.css



Hello and welcome to another exciting episode of 12 apps in 12 weeks.  I'm your host Kenyacode and this is week 10.  Yesterday I made a forum site.  If you have been reading this blog since week one or have been doing the challenge yourself, you should have see that many of these apps share much of their functionality.  The forum app has posts and comments, just like the blog app, the raddit app, and the movie review app.  Websites can very different in content but be very similar in functionality.

Again I made a landing page that tells users and visitors what the site is about.  I plan to add a landing page to all 12 websites.  It just makes sense.

Here is the page you see when you log in.


Here is the show page for each Forum post.


What I had to figure out in this app was how to use normalize with bootstrap.  First I just imported bootstrap and bootstrap sprockets into the application.css.scss file at the bottom of the normalize imports.  Well that changed fonts and sizes for the rest of my page.  After 30 min I realized I needed to have the bootstrap on top of the normalize so normalize could override bootstrap.

Now it works great.

Features I would like to add:
1. Get avatars for users
2. Give users chat functionality.
3. List users currently online
4. To have this be part of my episodic app that i'm building. Hence why I named it episodic-forum.
5. Linking the tv show to its corresponding page on the forum.
6. This app would be good to incorporate AJAX.

Tune in next week, same app time same app url,

Kenyacode

Technologies used: devise, haml, simple_form, bootstrap-sass, heroku, normalize.css
Github page: https://github.com/kenyacode/forum

No comments:

Post a Comment