Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Week 8 - Workout Log - Haml, simple_form, bootstrap-sass, puma, postgreSQL

Click here to go to website

Yesterday I finished the 8 app in Mackenzie Childs 12 apps in 12 weeks challenge.  The workout log has shown me that I have learned a lot and that I am much faster at programming than I was 8 weeks ago.

Last week I went to Carbon Five's Hack Night, a meet-up in Santa Monica. Michael Wynholds was speaking on date-time in code.  I had no idea that time had so many elements to it.  Is it the current time? A time ago? Do you want the time from the timezone where the user is or the server or the company? That talk came in handy when building this app as it allowed me to search for different ways to interpret date time than was shown in Mackenzie's tutorial.

This is a simple_form for a workout.  Line 2 is the input field for date.  The date used in the tutorial was formatted 2014-10-26 11:47:00 UTC. (see green image below) No one reads date time like that so I changed not only the displayed date time, but the drop down menu to input it as well. (see blue image below)






One look at his design and I knew I had to brighten the colors and add forms divs to make it look nice and neat.  I put a table in the first form with the workout info, then made a second form with the exercise info, then a third form with the form partial.






If you are wondering how I did it, I found a great blog by Akshay Mohite that had all the date-times in ruby displayed. https://hackhands.com/format-datetime-ruby/

Features I would love to add:
1. Add users
2. Drop down list of exercises, based on Body Section.
3. Social media shareability
4. Search Functionality
5. Edit and update each exercise

Until next time, Kwaheri (see you later)

Kenyacode

Technologies used: Hamlsimple_formbootstrap-sasspumapostgreSQL
Github Page: https://github.com/kenyacode/workout

No comments:

Post a Comment